2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
    Jul 19, 2018  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

The Graduate School: Student Financial Aid

Click on any of the following links for information:

We believe a student should consider the advantage of a private college when choosing an institution of higher education. Realizing the cost of higher education today, Friends University makes every effort to enable all students to attend regardless of financial resources, age, sex, marital status, physical handicap, race, religion and/or national origin. For  graduate students, financial need may be met only through the federal direct loan programs. Friends University provides financial counseling and encourages campus visits by students and parents to discuss financial planning. If additional information is desired, students should direct their questions to the Financial Aid Office.


  1. To be eligible for financial aid, students are required to complete the FAFSA, be fully admitted to the University, and enrolled in a program leading to a degree.
  2. Most awards are for one year and are always made on a full-time basis.
  3. Graduate students must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Federal loans.
  4. All awards are to be used for educational related expenses.
  5. Financial aid will be forfeited by a student who has been dismissed for academic reasons or failed to comply with the satisfactory academic progress policy.
  6. Discrimination is prohibited – refer to the non-discriminatory policy.

Application Procedures for Financial Aid

  1. A need analysis is required for aid from federal or state programs. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  2. Complete/Provide any additional documents requested by the Financial Aid office.

Admission Status

  • Students tentatively admitted to the University are not eligible to receive financial aid.
  • Students fully admitted and provisionally admitted to the University are eligible to receive financial aid.
  • Students conditionally admitted to the University are eligible to receive financial aid. However, financial aid may be limited. Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding your individual file.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP)

Friends University is required by federal regulation to monitor satisfactory academic progress for federal financial aid recipients.  The satisfactory academic policy (SAP) at Friends University is in accordance with federal guidelines.  Satisfactory academic progress is checked after every semester at Friends University.

Full-time students must earn a minimum number of credit hours in conjunction with the number of years of enrollment.  Part-time students will be expected to make the same proportional progress as full-time students.  Students must earn a cumulative grade point average in accordance with their academic classification.


Full-time Equivalent

Academic Classification

Credit Hours Attempted

GPA Requirement

1 year


0 - 27

1.6 CGPA

2 years


28 - 57

1.8 CGPA

3 years


58 - 87

2.0 CGPA

4 years


88 - 117

2.0 CGPA

5 years


118 - 186

2.0 CGPA


Graduate Student


3.0 CGPA


Pace toward Degree: Progress is also measured quantitatively at the end of each semester by comparing the number of cumulative attempted hours within the number cumulative earned hours (i.e., A, B, C, D or P).  Students must have earned at least 67 percent of the overall credits they have attempted to remain in good standing.  The following letter grades do not count toward earned hours, but do count toward the completion of attempted hours: AU – Audit, F-Failure, I-Incomplete, WD-Withdrawal.

The following letter grades do not count toward earned or attempted hours—NC, THA, THB, THC, THD, THF, and THP—for Satisfactory Academic Progress purposes.  These courses have not been accepted as counting toward the student’s degree program at Friends University because they have exceeded the maximum number of transfer hours allowed under the university’s academic policy (64 hours) or they were classified as developmental courses.

Maximum Time Frame:  Undergraduate students are eligible to receive federal aid up to 186 attempted credit hours.  Graduate degree level students are eligible to receive federal aid up to 54 attempted credit hours. Once a student has exceeded the maximum credit hours federal financial aid will be suspended.

Retakes: Federal regulations indicate that a student may receive federal financial aid for repeated coursework previously taken in the program but may not include more than one repeat of a previously passed course.  This means courses for which you have passed with a D or better can only be repeated once in your enrollment status to count for federal financial aid eligibility determination.  Any previously failed courses may count towards financial aid eligibility determination until the course is passed.

Financial Aid Warning Status: Students will be placed on financial aid warning status after their first semester of not maintaining SAP.  A student placed on a financial aid warning status is eligible for financial aid, no appeal is necessary.  After their second consecutive semester of not maintaining SAP at Friends University, their financial aid will be terminated.

Financial Aid Suspension Status: If the student does not meet the above listed requirements during the warning period the student will be placed on financial aid suspension.  Suspension status prevents the student from receiving any federal, state, or institutional financial aid for future semesters until the student either successfully appeals or once again meets the above SAP standards.

Financial Aid Appeal Procedure: If a student fails to meet satisfactory academic progress standards and is no longer eligible for federal financial aid, there is an appeal process.  Appeal forms are available from the financial aid office.   Extenuating circumstances, such as family difficulties, personal problems with roommates or significant others, illnesses, death in the family or other extraordinary circumstances can be considered for an appeal.  Students must also appeal to change their academic plan.  They must explain what has happened to make the change necessary and how they will be able to make academic progress.

  1. Complete the appeal form and supply any supporting documentation and return it to the Assistant Director of Financial Aid explaining why the student failed to make progress, and what has changed in the student’s situation that would demonstrate the ability to make satisfactory academic progress.  Appeal must be made before the enrollment period or make arrangements if more time is needed.
  2. The Assistant Director of Financial Aid will review the appeal and contact the student by a reasonable date.

Financial Aid Probation Status: If an appeal for federal financial aid is granted, the student will be placed on probation status and may receive federal financial aid.  There may be specific terms or conditions required in which case the student will be required to submit to a prescribed academic plan.  Students must meet the requirements of the academic plan before they can be removed from financial aid probation.  If a change in the academic plan becomes necessary, see “Financial Aid Appeal Procedure” description above.  Probation status is for one payment period only unless an academic plan exists.

Students who choose to pay for their expenses using private resources may continue to enroll in subsequent semesters without appealing.  Students may have their financial aid restored and be removed from suspension or probationary status once all satisfactory academic progress standards and/or probationary conditions are met.

Reestablishing aid eligibility: Financial aid eligibility will only be reinstated with a successful appeal process or by paying on your own until you achieve SAP standards listed above.  Not attending one or more semesters will not affect or change SAP status.

Refunds: If a refund is due to a student for tuition, room and board, or other institutional charges, and the student received financial aid, a portion of the refund will be returned to the student aid programs in accordance with federal guidelines. If the student received any institutional scholarships/grants, any amount in excess of the federal funding returned as mentioned above will be returned to the Friends University General Scholarship Fund.  Refer to Refund Policy and Repayment of Title IV Funds.

Student Account Services calculates the initial refund based on the refundable charges and the date of withdrawal. Refer to the refund schedule.

REFUND POLICY (Effective Spring 2018)

The percent and procedure for a refund is dependent on the date of official withdrawal and Federal regulations. Withdrawal is not official until it is received by the Office of the University Registrar. All refunds will be granted in full accordance with current Federal regulatory guidelines and University Policy.  Failure to attend classes does NOT constitute official withdrawal.

Friends University will refund institutional charges including tuition and fees based on the following:

16 Week Classes

Course dropped prior to the start of the course (term): 100%

Course dropped during the first 10 calendar days of the course (term): 100% Course dropped during the calendar days 11 -20 of the course (term): 50% Course dropped after 20th  calendar day of the course (term): 0%

8 Week Classes

Course dropped prior to the start of the term: 100%

Course dropped during the first 5 calendar days of the course (term): 100% Course dropped during the calendar days 6-10 of the course (term): 50% Course dropped after the 10th  day of the course (term): 0%

Classes Less than 4 Weeks in Duration

Course dropped prior to the start of the course (term): 100% Course dropped after the course (term) begins: 0%

Course fees will be refunded only if the student qualifies for a 100% refund. All refunds and deposits that may be due a student will first be applied to any debts owed to the college. Refunds for students receiving federal financial assistance are subject to federal guidelines.

Disbursement: Scholarships, grants and loans will be disbursed as a credit to the student’s account either by direct deposit or by endorsement of check(s). Direct deposit transactions will be made when the 100 percent (100%) refund period has expired for the enrollment period.

Federal Grants and Loans

Teach Grant

A non-need-based grant that provides up to $4,000 per year to students who are enrolled in an eligible program and who agree to teach in a high-need field, at a low-income elementary or secondary school for at least four years within eight years of completing the program for which the TEACH grant was awarded.  If the grant recipient fails to complete the required teaching service, the TEACH grant is treated as a Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan.

Federal Direct Student Loan
A long-term, need-based loan for eligible students. To determine eligibility you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, a master promissory note must be completed and returned with the official award notification letter.

Federal Additional Unsubsidized Direct Student Loan
A long-term, no-need loan for independent students. To apply you must first determine eligibility for the Federal Direct loans by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, a master promissory note must be completed and returned with the official award notification letter.

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

A long-term, no-need loan for graduate students.  To apply you must complete a promissory note.

Work Opportunities

Off-campus Employment
The Center for Student Success at Friends University assists students in finding full- and part-time employment. Many businesses and industrial employers list jobs with the Center for Student Success throughout the year. Students can access these jobs by visiting the Center or on line at www.ecampusrecruiter.com/friends.

On-campus Employment
Friends University provides a variety of oncampus employment opportunities for students with or without federal work study. On-campus positions are posted at the Center for Student Success or on line at www.ecampusrecruiter.com/friends.

Federal Work Study Program
Eligibility for the federal work study program is based on financial need. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For additional information, contact:

Friends University
Financial Aid Office
2100 W. University Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213



  ^ TOP