2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
    Jul 19, 2018  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

College of Adult and Professional Studies: College Academic Policies

Click on any of the following links for information:


Academic Probation and Dismissal


A CAPS student will be placed on academic probation if their Friends University cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Probationary students will have the following semester to raise their Friends University cumulative grade point average above 2.0. If the student does not register in the subsequent semester and does not withdraw, their academic standing will be reviewed at the end of the first enrolled semester.  Students must comply with all Admissions policies in effect.

Students will be dismissed if their Friends University cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 for two consecutive enrolled semesters. The University reserves the right to suspend anyone failing to make normal progress at the end of any semester.

Students who receive a dismissal letter will have 10 business days to appeal the dismissal in writing. If the appeal is denied, or if the student chooses not to appeal, the application for readmission may be made after sitting out a minimum of one semester (spring/summer/fall).

Dismissal does not release the student from his/her financial responsibility to the University.
Entry and graduation requirements for the College of Adult and Professional Studies are 2.0 CGPA.


Academic Course Taxonomies for Non-Traditional Coursework

Friends University classifies online course and program offerings according to four discrete taxonomies. These taxonomies are consistent with many other colleges and universities that offer online courses and programs.

  • Online Course/Program (ONL): Online courses have all content delivered online through a Learning Management System (LMS) and do not have regularly scheduled classroom meetings.
  • Blended Course / Program - BLD (formerly Hybrid Course/Program - HYB): Blended courses are a mix of classroom meetings and technology mediated distance delivery.   Those courses through which a predominance of the instruction (50% or more) is delivered at a distance are considered blended.
  • Web Facilitated Course / Program (formerly Web-Enhanced Course/Program - WEB): Web facilitated courses are traditional courses that use a LMS to facilitate communications and content delivery.  Regularly scheduled meetings are not substituted with technology mediated content delivery.
  • Traditional (TRA):  Traditional courses are delivered as regularly scheduled classroom meetings that utilize methodologies such as lecture, discussion, group work, writing, etc.  and do not use a LMS to support communications or content delivery.
  • Synchronous e-learning (SEL): Synchronous learning courses enable the simultaneous participation of students and instructor at the same time but not in the same place.  It is often referred to as “real-time” instruction.  Technology tools to allow interaction, desktop and file sharing and the ability to collaborate and ask questions in real time are used.  Students are required to be online at a specific time in order to participate.

Online and Blended delivered courses are managed through specific University policy and approval processes.  Web Facilitated courses are guided and managed by University policies consistent with on-ground courses.


Adult Student Honor Society

The Alpha Sigma Lambda Society recognizes the achievement of adult students in the College of Adult and Professional Studies.  The top 20% of CAPS students with a minimum GPA of 3.2 and 24 earned credit hours are eligible for membership.

CAPS Undergraduate Students taking Graduate Courses

Graduate Level Elective Courses:

Graduate level courses may be taken by CAPS upper division undergraduate students with CAPS program director approval prior to enrollment in a graduate course.  A maximum of 18 graduate credit hours may be taken for undergraduate elective credit in pursuit of an undergraduate degree.

A course taken for elective credit must be so identified at the time of enrollment in that course and students must meet any prerequisite requirements.  Students will be charged tuition/fees and counted at the level of the degree to which they are applying the elective credits.

Graduate School workshops are not eligible for elective credits toward undergraduate degree requirements.

See Transfer Student Credit policy for additional information.

Seniors Earning Graduate Credit in the Special Education Program

University policy indicates then undergraduates pursuing a bachelor’s in education are seniors (i.e. completed at least 90 credit hours), they may begin taking course work toward the Special Education license endorsement by:

1) Completing a formal application for graduate study and submitting an official transcript.

2) Having a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0.

3) Prior to actually enrolling in a 500/600 level course for graduate credit, the student must complete a Request for Graduate Credit form.  The form must include signatures from the student’s advisor, the special education faculty member or Program Director in lieu of the course instructor, the undergraduate Dean and the Registrar.  This form must be submitted to the graduate office prior to enrollment.  Once the form has been received and approved, the 500/600 level class will be flagged for graduate credit.  Refer to Graduate School Policy in current catalog for additional information regarding this process.

Changes in Registration

Adding a Class

4 week courses:  Students must be enrolled in 4 week courses prior to the start of the term.  No additions may be done after the term has started.

8 week courses:  No addition to a student’s schedule may be made after the 1st week of classes has passed in an 8 week term.  Any exceptions must be approved by the Dean of the College (or designee) as well as the instructor of course.

A student who does not properly add a class to their registration will not receive credit or a grade for the class.  Attendance in a class does not constitute addition or withdrawal from a class.

Withdrawing from/Dropping a Class:

4 week courses:  Students may not drop a course after the 2nd week of the term has ended.

8 week courses:  Students may not drop a course after the 5th week of the term has ended.

Grades will not be recorded for courses dropped by the end of the 100 % refund period of the term.  Courses dropped after that period will be recorded with a WD (withdrawn) grade.

Any exceptions must be approved by the Dean of the College (or designee).

A student who does not properly withdraw from a class will receive a failing grade (F) in the course.  Attendance in a class does not constitute addition or withdrawal from a class.

All drops will be subject to the refund policies in effect at the time of the drop.  Students are responsible for impacts that schedule changes may have to their current financial aid awards.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all class sessions. When absence is unavoidable, students should arrange in advance with the instructor for the completion of all work missed. Penalty for unexcused absences rests with the teachers concerned. Excessive absences or tardiness may jeopardize the student’s academic standing.  Students who have missed more than two class meetings normally will receive an “F” unless they have formally withdrawn.


An academic class week is for all online courses is defined as Monday through Sunday.

Course Equivalency / Waiver / Substitution Policy

For degree auditing purposes, the following course definitions will be used:


The course is considered to be the same in description, academic credits, rigor, pre-requisites / co-requisites, and learning outcomes.  Any student who has taken a course considered equivalent to another will only have the most recent grade and hours calculated into the earned hours and GPA.  This will be processed as a ‘repeated’ course.


The course is determined not to be equivalent in nature, but comparable in breadth/depth, content, learning outcomes, level and academic credits.  The student will receive earned hours and the grade will calculate into the GPA for both courses.  The course will replace a current or prior degree requirement, or a discontinued course that is part of the student’s degree program.  An approved course substitution form must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.  A substitution will not be processed as a ‘repeated’ course.


A course waiver will be considered if a student has documented prior knowledge (coursework, test scores, experience, or other evidence) that has been determined to satisfy a particular degree requirement.  The student is required to submit all required documentation to support the request.  No earned hours or GPA will be awarded.  A waiver does not exempt the student from satisfying the total number of hours required for the degree.  An approved waiver form must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.


Credit by Examination and/or Evaluation

Friends University confers credit by examination, particularly College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Hours earned through credit by examination are listed on the student’s transcript but will not affect the cumulative grade point average. A student may earn up to 60 semester examination hours. Scores, which fail to meet minimum standards for conferral of credit, will not be recorded nor will they penalize the student who has attempted the exam.

CLEP General Examinations


CLEP General Examinations measure general education in five broad areas: History and Social Sciences, Composition and Literature, Science and Mathematics, Business, and World Language. Students may take any of the tests (up to 27 semester hours of Friends University credit) except the one entitled “College Composition Modular” to meet a specific course requirement or serve as an elective if the scores are at or above 50.

Level 2 language tests require higher scores as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) and endorsed by College Board. The students may take the test called “College Composition” to meet the Composition requirement. Only three credit hours will be awarded. This test will not meet the Researched Composition requirement.

General examinations may be taken at any time during the college career, but credit will not be granted after a student has attempted an accredited college course equivalent to the course to be tested by the CLEP examination.

CLEP Subject Examinations

If a student takes a CLEP subject examination to meet a course requirement, all prerequisite course requirements must have been completed prior to completion of the CLEP subject examination.

Advanced Placement Program

Students who have participated in the Advanced Placement Program at the high school level, sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board of New York, will receive college credit if their grades on the Advanced Placement Examinations are 3 or above. Credit may be obtained for Composition but not for Researched Composition.

DSST Exams (formerly DANTES)

The DSST program is an extensive series of 38 examinations in college subject areas that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses. Friends University follows the ACE recommendations regarding passing test score criteria and credit hour equivalents when granting institutional credit to students who take DSST exams.

Credit By Examination

When no satisfactory standardized test is available, a student may request permission to take a campus-created exam to demonstrate proficiency in a particular course or subject. Permission for such an exam must be received from both the Vice President of Academic Affairs (or designee), Dean of the College or Division Chair and the professor who would design and administer the exam.

Credit earned by examination saves repetition, time and money. Test fees are charged per credit hour and are non-refundable although a student may fail to score high enough to receive credit.

A student may earn up to 60 semester hours of credit by examination. Credit by examination is recorded only for regular matriculated students, after a semester in residence has been completed. Credit by examination will not be figured into the cumulative GPA.

Credit Hours and Credit Points

Credit Hour Definition

Friends University defines the unit of credit hour as follows:  A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

(1) one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

(2) at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other activities as established by an institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, experiential and prior learning, and other academic work leading toward the award of credit hours.

Credit Points are assigned as follows for the purpose of determining scholastic averages:

Each semester :
  1 hour of “A” = 4 credit points
  1 hour of “B” = 3 credit points
  1 hour of “C” = 2 credit points
  1 hour of “D” = 1 credit point
  1 hour of “F” = 0 credit points

The Cumulative Grade Point Average, commonly spoken as a GPA, is determined by dividing the GPA hours taken in all graded courses accepted by or completed at Friends University into the quality points received. Example: Four hours with a “C” grade (or 8 quality points) results in a GPA of 2.000.

In Good Standing means that a student has met academic and other requirements and has paid all University financial obligations. Registration may be denied to students not in good standing. Transcripts and diplomas are withheld until past due financial obligations are paid.

Grade Change requests must be initiated within one year of completing the course and prior to receiving the degree.

Degree Conferral

Friends University will confer degrees at the conclusion of each term of the semester (excluding 4-week terms) Term 1st-8 week, Term 2nd-8 week, and Term 16 week. Students who desire to graduate must submit an Intent to Graduate Form to the Office of the University Registrar as stated in the Graduation Requirements Policy.  Prior to the conferral of the degree students will be informed, by letter, that they have completed all degree requirements and that the degree will be conferred on a specified date.  This letter can be used as confirmation of their status for employment, or other purposes, that all degree requirements have been met and that the degree will be conferred on a specified date.  Students may contact the Office of the University Registrar to obtain additional copies of this confirmation letter.  The degree will not be posted to the Official Transcript until the degree is conferred.  Diplomas will be prepared once a degree has been conferred.

Degrees Offered

The College of Adult and Professional Studies of Friends University confers three bachelor’s degrees:

  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
  • Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.)
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.)

Degree Programs

Accounting - B.B.A.
Business Management - B.B.A.
Computer Information Systems - B.S.
Criminal Justice - B.A.
Cyber Security - B.S.
Human Resource Management - B.B.A.
Human Services-Psychology - B.S.
Human Services-Sociology - B.S.
Organizational Leadership and Transformational Change - B.A.

Enrollment and Registration Policies


Juniors and Seniors (58-124 earned credit hours)

CAPS students identified as junior or senior level may not be enrolled in over 25 hours at any point in time at the University without prior written approval by the Dean of CAPS.

Freshmen and Sophomores (0 - 57.9 earned credit hours)

CAPS students identified as freshman and sophomore may not be enrolled in more than 7 credit hours per 8-week term without prior approval.  The freshman or sophomore student requesting more than the maximum hours allowed must be achieving academically as demonstrated by a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and receive written approval from a CAPS Academic Success Coach by submitting the Overload Request Form prior to enrolling.   No freshman or sophomore level student will be allowed to exceed 10 credit hours per 8-week term - no exceptions.


In the event that unforeseen circumstances prevent a CAPS student from attending class for an extended period of time, the student may request a leave of absence. Circumstances which would qualify for a leave could include but are not limited to: 1) serious illness of the student or immediate family member; 2) temporary employment relocation and/or reassignment; or 3) birth of a child.

A student who does not return to class following an approved Leave of Absence will be withdrawn from the University as of the last date of class attendance prior to the start of the Leave of Absence.

Coursework missed during a student’s Leave of Absence is graded as ‘LA’. A final letter grade will be issued to the student following their completion of the coursework required upon their return from Leave.

A student who returns from a Leave of Absence but later withdraws from the University prior to completing the coursework missed during the Leave period will have the grade of “LA” converted to a final grade of “F”.


Students requiring elective credits to meet the 124 hour minimum may focus on meeting the requirements for a specific minor in the College of Adult and Professional Studies or enroll in coursework outside their major area of concentration.

To add or withdraw from a class taken for elective credit, a student must complete the proper form and obtain necessary signatures from their advisor or Academic Success Coach. Attendance in a class does not constitute addition of or withdrawal from a class. Students enrolling in elective coursework must meet any and all prerequisite requirements of the course for which they are enrolling.


In addition to the courses which are described in the Catalog, Friends University offers experimental courses.  These courses are not listed in the Catalog since they are designated to meet the special needs of the community or students or arise out of the interest of the faculty.  These courses are offered a maximum of three times and require the approval of the Program Director and the Vice President of Academic Affairs.  Such a course is designated with the number 400EX in the class schedule publication.


Independent Study (IS) for CAPS students may be implemented when required for special circumstances such as:  Students who need only a limited number of credits within their major to complete their degree when it becomes a hardship or impossibility for them to attend regular classes; Students needing to drop out of a cohort temporarily due to extraordinary circumstances, that wish to complete their degree with their cohort by providing an option to make up lost class time; Supplementing coursework for legitimate reasons approved by the program director(s).

The Independent Study will:  Be directly related to the student’s academic program; Be of the quality and level expected for the other classes in the major, and if the course is to fulfill requirements of the major, be of equal substance and objectives to the original course; Not exceed the number of credit hours of the original course if a substitution or retake (course substitution arrangements should be indicated in the comments field on the Independent Study Request Form).  No more than 3 credits or one class will be allowed as substitution.


Current Students wishing to audit CAPS degree completion courses or general education undergraduate courses may do so by contacting their academic success coach and obtaining needed permissions for specific courses. Tuition is charged as noted on the current year fee schedule, no credit is given and there may be fewer obligations for coursework.

Non-Students:  Students who are not seeking an undergraduate degree at Friends University, but who wish to continue personal and professional development may be admitted to CAPS degree completion elective courses or general education undergraduate courses.  A maximum of 16 semester hours may be accumulated under Special Student status.  All non-degree seeking admissions classifications are ineligible for financial aid.  Current high school students are not eligible for Special or Guest student status in the College of Adult and Professional Studies at Friends University.  Students should submit the regular admissions application and fees, and must meet the course pre-requisites.  No transcript or ACT scores are required.

Grading System & Definitions

For all CAPS Students:

The grade symbols and their significance are as follows:

  • Grade “A” indicates superior work.
  • Grade “B” indicates good work.
  • Grade “C” indicates satisfactory work.
  • Grade “D” indicates inferior work, but is a passing grade.
  • Grade “F” indicates failure to complete work sufficient in quantity or quality to receive credit. Credit may be earned only by repeating the course.

Note: A student may not repeat a course more than twice (total of three attempts) in an effort to achieve a satisfactory grade. The most recent grade achieved by repeating a course is the grade utilized in student records and averages.

Grading Authority

Faculty have primary authority for the assignment of grades.  Students have the right to appeal a grade through the University Exception process.

Grade Definitions

Grade “SS” when given, indicates satisfactory completion of course.

Grade “NS” when given, indicates a letter grade was not submitted by the course instructor.

Grade “I” indicates an Incomplete.  A grade of “I” may be given by the course instructor if circumstances beyond the student’s control prevent completing the coursework.  The student must have started the course to receive the grade of “I”.  The instructor of record for the course will work with the student to complete any remaining coursework.  The remaining coursework must be made up within the time specified by the course instructor but cannot exceed six months from the end date of the course.  If the coursework is not completed by the end of six months and the instructor has not initiated a grade change, the outstanding “I” grade will be changed to a grade of “F”.

The mark “AU” (audit) is used to indicate enrollment on a “no credit” basis. Audit registration may not be converted to credit registration after the second week of a regular semester nor credit registration be converted to audit registration after the second week of a regular semester. Private lessons from the Fine Arts department are not available for audit.

WD” means withdrawn. It signifies that the student has officially withdrawn from the course. The grade “F” is given for unofficial withdrawal from a course.

Grade “Pass/Fail” is used when courses are taken on a pass/fail basis and graded either P (for a grade of “D” or above) or “F.”  No more than 12 hours of graded Pass/Fail will be accepted for elective credit.  Pass/Fail grades will not be accepted for meeting General Education requirements.

Grade “NC” indicates No Credit and is used to indicate when no credit is being awarded for the course.

Grade “CR” indicates Credit is being awarded for the course.

Graduation Honors

Bachelor Degree Students:

The minimum standard for graduating SUMMA CUM LAUDE is both an overall grade point average of 3.90 and a grade point average of 3.90 on Friends University coursework.

The minimum standard for MAGNA CUM LAUDE is both an overall grade point average of 3.75 and a grade point average of 3.75 on Friends University coursework.

The minimum standard for graduating CUM LAUDE is both an overall grade point average of 3.60 and a grade point average of 3.60 on Friends University coursework.

Order of the Tower: Students graduating with bachelor’s degrees and maintaining honors are automatically members of the Order of the Tower, the honorary society of the University. These students are presented the crimson honor cord at Commencement and receive special mention during the exercises.  Students who earn both an overall grade point average of 4.0 and a 4.0 on Friends University coursework are awarded a gold honor cord at Commencement.

International Travel

Required International Travel Courses

Students traveling internationally as part of any Friends University course, regardless of college, for the purposes of meeting a requirement for graduation will enroll in the Friends University course for the term of travel and pay the standard tuition and fees for their college in addition to any direct costs associated with the trip.
Students traveling as part of a program in partnership with another university or institute where contractual agreements regarding tuition, fees, and other direct expenses are in place will enroll in the appropriate Friends University course(s) and pay the tuition, fees, and other direct expenses set by the partnership agreement.

Policy for International Travel Courses where students do not fall into the above categories:

All persons wishing to travel with a Friends University international course but where the course does not fall under one of the cases listed above must enroll in the course for (graded) credit. This includes each of the following:
• Students wishing to travel with, and earn credit for, a course in their current college of enrollment but not for graduation credit.
• Students wishing to travel with, and earn credit for, a course in their current college of enrollment but beyond the current package load.
• Students wishing to travel with, and earn credit for, a course outside of their current college of enrollment where the course will not apply toward graduation credit.

Note: Those persons not currently enrolled as a student at Friends University, who wish to audit an international travel study course, must apply to and be accepted by the University as a “Non-Degree Seeking Special Student” or a “Non-Degree Seeking Guest Student” and must obtain a student ID. The fee for admission to the University will be waived if admission is solely for the purpose of participation in a travel course.
For these Non-Degree Seeking students, tuition will be assessed a per credit hour fee set at the current Education Workshop rate for the number of hours of the course.


Previous DCP Students and Completed Coursework Requirements

Any student returning after an absence of two catalog years becomes subject to the Catalog and program and/or degree requirements in effect at the time of their re-entry to the College and University. Returning students in certain majors identified by the College (Accounting, Human Resource Management, Criminal Justice, Computer Information Systems, or as the College designates) who have previously accomplished coursework with a final grade of ‘C’ or better will have their coursework reviewed at the time of their re-entry for currency. The College reserves the right to determine what/if additional course will be required to bring the student’s coursework up to date if prior major requirements have been completed more than two years prior.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the process of earning college credit for college-level learning acquired outside of the college classroom such as work, professional/occupational/vocational training, volunteering, self-education, life experiences, and sponsored non-collegiate training (i.e. US Military).  A maximum of thirty (30) credit hours can be granted through PLA.

Prior and Experiential Learning Credit

Prior Learning Portfolio Assessment:  Students may demonstrate what skills and competencies they have learned from their training (including coursework completed at a non-regionally accredited college), work, volunteer and life experiences following high school that are equivalent to courses and/or outcomes offered at Friends University in prior learning portfolios.  A prior learning portfolio is a compilation of written evidence that supports a student’s prior and experiential learning accomplishments in a specific subject that is assessed by a PLA faculty evaluator for course credit.  Students seeking portfolio credit are required to successfully complete the CAPS 202:  Prior Learning Portfolio Development course prior to their initial petition for prior learning portfolio evaluation.  Upon completion, credit is awarded for the course only.  Completed prior learning portfolios must be submitted to the PLA office for evaluation.  A fee will be charged for the evaluation and recording of credit.  Payment is due at the time the petition for portfolio evaluation is submitted.

The learning experience demonstrated must have the academic equivalence of college-level learning.  Developmental/remedial courses and/or courses numbered below 100 are not comparable to college-level learning and may not be used as course equivalencies in the prior learning portfolio.

Portfolio Amendments:  Students who are asked to submit additional information and/or make revisions to their prior learning portfolio by a faculty evaluator have four (4) weeks from the date of notification to fulfill the request.  If the student fails to do so, PLA credit will not be awarded.

Non-Collegiate:  College credit is awarded for certain types of non-collegiate training programs and US Military service where college credit recommendations have been established by the American Council on Education (ACE) and/or the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS).  ACE and NCCRS transcripts must be submitted to the Director of Prior Learning Assessment for evaluation.

The amount and type of credit awarded will vary in accordance with faculty review, the recommendations of the appropriate guide (such as ACE and NCCRS) and the educational policies of the University.  The CAPS 202 Prior Learning Portfolio Development course is not required for the evaluation of ACE and NCCRS transcripts.  A fee will be charged for the evaluation and recording of this credit.  Evaluation results will not be recorded until full payment is received.

PLA Credit for First Aid & CPR:  First Aid and/or CPR certifications have been pre-approved for PLA credit by faculty and are awarded at one (1) credit hour each.  Multiple CPR credits will be awarded; the maximum credit for CPR is one (1) regardless of CPR category.  Examples of classes in the CPR are Infant/Chile CPR, Adult CPR, and CPR/AED.  Valid documentation (card or certificate) must be submitted to the Director of Prior Learning.  The CAPS 202 Prior Learning Portfolio Development course is not required for First Aid and CPR credit.  A fee will be charged for the evaluation and recording of this credit.

PLA Appeals Process:  Students who wish to appeal the denial of credit for PLA evaluations must contact the Director of Prior Learning Assessment.  The appeal must be in writing and address why he/she feels credit should have been awarded.  PLA appeals must be received with eight (8) weeks of the date of denial notification.  The Director of Prior Learning Assessment will discuss the appeal with the faculty evaluator and make the decision concerning the appeal.  Students may be required to present additional evidence to verify learning.  If the denial decision stands, students may submit an additional appeal to the Dean or designee of College.  The Dean or designee of College’s decision on the PLA credit denial is final.  The student will be informed in writing of the decision for the requested appeal.  Additional fees are not required for the appeals process.

Transcription of PLA Credit:  PLA credit is recorded as Prior Learning Assessment/Portfolio credit with the course/subject title and number of credit hours awarded.  PLA credit is not issued a grade and does not affect GPA.  PLA credit does not meet residency requirements and is not transferable.  Duplicate credit will not be granted for courses already recorded on a student’s transcript.

Returning Students:  Returning and former students who wish to submit prior learning are required to meet with the Director of PLA and establish a plan for requesting credit for prior learning.  A fee will be charged for the evaluation and recording of credit.

Internship Program / Clinical Training

Students in the College of Adult and Professional Studies (CAPS) may earn up to twelve hours in an internship or clinical training program. These hours can be transferred or earned in residence. Internship credits earned in residence at Friends University must be approved by the Program Director or CAPS designee prior to course enrollment. Please refer to the internship course descriptions for complete details.

Licensure and Certification Evaluation for Credit

College credit is recognized for certain types of non-collegiate training programs.  Valid documentation (certificates, diplomas, etc.) must be submitted to the Director of Prior Learning for evaluation of all licensure and certifications.  The amount of credit recognized will vary in accordance with the plans of the student, the recommendations of the appropriate guides, and the educational policies of the University.  A fee may be charged for the evaluation and recording of the credit.

Duplication of credits earned will not be granted for courses already transcripted.  Additionally, licensure, certificates, or training credits may not be duplicated through the Experiential Learning process.


Friends University will grant 30 hours of General Education credit upon entrance to students who have successfully completed an International Baccalaureate Diploma. (Diploma with high school transcript and standard admissions procedures.)
IB Area Requirement Course   Hours
Language A Competency Writing 1, 2   6
Language B B.A. Requirement Foreign Lang   8
Exp. Science Perspective Phy/Biol Sci   4
Mathematics Competency College Algebra   3
Theory of Knowl. Perspective Intro to Phil.   3
Study of Man Foundations World Civ. OR   3
    American Character    
Electives Perspective Art/Music OR   3
  Competency Intro to Comp.    
Total Credit Hours      



Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree:

Students should familiarize themselves with the following requirements for baccalaureate degrees.

Catalog Requirements

Students who continue in college without interruption will meet requirements in effect at the time of their first registration, modified by curriculum and certification changes deemed essential by the faculty.

Students who leave college for two or more semesters will meet graduation requirements in force at the time of return. Due allowance will be made for changes in course offerings.

All students seeking a baccalaureate degree must complete general education requirements, common core courses, and required declared major coursework.

Minimum Credit Hours, Scholarship, Residence:

Baccalaureate degrees require a minimum of 124 semester hours with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.000 on all courses accepted by or completed at Friends University.


  • A minimum of 30 of the last 40 semester hours must be earned in residence at Friends unless otherwise identified by major or college requirements.

Correspondence and Extension:

Not more than 30 semester hours earned by correspondence and extension may count toward a degree. (Friends University does not offer courses by correspondence.) Advance written approval for correspondence or extension courses should be secured from the Registrar before taking the course or by the Vice President of Academic Affairs if study abroad is contemplated. As a general policy, Friends University does not approve extension or correspondence courses when coursework applicable toward degree requirements is being offered on campus.

Credit for Activities:

A maximum of 8 credits earned in physical education activity and intercollegiate athletics campus activities may be counted in the 124 hours required for graduation. Examples of activity credits are badminton, yoga, archery, ping pong, table tennis, racquetball, billiards, weightlifting, etc.
Hours earned as part of a previous program of study will be exempt from activity limits.

General Education:

All students must meet the general education requirements in effect when they entered Friends University. See the section on General Education for specific requirements.

Remedial Study:

Developmental/remedial courses and/or courses numbered below 100 may not be included in the elective or degree requirements for any CAPS degree.

Policy for Degrees in Non-Current Majors

Any student who remains continuously enrolled (consecutive fall & spring terms) at a regionally accredited institution from the time of completion of major coursework at Friends, may receive a degree no longer offered in the College of Adult and Professional Studies upon successful petition submitted to the College.  If a student has not successfully completed the major requirements, the degree may not be conferred.

Any student not having successfully completed and passed the major classes (retake situation) must comply with the current degree requirements.

Any student returning after an absence of two catalog years becomes subject to the catalog and program requirements in effect at the time of their re-entry.  Students returning within a two-catalog year time frame will follow the catalog year of their last enrollment.

If the major requirements have been completed more than two years prior, the College will determine what/if additional classes will be required to bring the non-current major up to date.  Some reviews may result in a change of major for the student.

Additional Graduation Requirements:

Expiration of Credits: 

Elective and General Education credits from a regionally accredited institution will be considered non-expiring.  Any student returning after an absence of two catalog years becomes subject to the Catalog and program requirements in effect at the time of their re-entry.  Courses required by the major, either core requirements or those in direct support of the major, will be reviewed for currency.  Additional course may be required.

Additional Graduation Information:

Declaration of Intent to Graduate:

Students should file an Intent to Graduate form with the University Registrar’s office as soon as the final plans for completing all graduation requirements have been made.  Degree awards may be made at times other than the traditional May commencement ceremonies. However, student should file an Intent to Graduate form with the University Registrar’s office no later than February 1st for May commencement. (to participate in commencement all requirements must be planned for completion by August 31st of the commencement year.)  The Intent to Graduate form is required to initiate a review of the student’s academic record for degree award and to ensure the student’s place on the commencement program.  Students who submit Intent to Graduate forms after February 1st may be placed in the following year’s commencement program.  Intent to Graduate forms are available via the website, the student’s academic success coach or from the Office of the University Registrar.


Financial Obligations:

No student will be granted a diploma of graduation, or receive an official transcript until all financial obligations to the college have been met. A graduation fee for each degree awarded may be charged.  A graduation fee will be added to charges at least by the last term of attendance before graduation for traditional undergraduate degrees.

Commencement Attendance:

Students are encouraged to participate in the annual Commencement exercises held in May each year.

Major Fields - Baccalaureate Degrees

All degree completion students must satisfy all general education requirements, all program (major) requirements,  any supporting coursework for the major and elective hours to total a minimum of 124 earned hours.  In addition to General Education and graduation requirements, each student will complete a concentration in a field of special interest known as a “major” along with supporting courses for the major field concentration.  The major consists of at least 24 hours.

Optional Minor: 

Optional minors consist of a minimum of 15 hours with a “C” or above grades in all courses applied to the minor.  Recognition of minors cannot be added to the student transcript after the initial degree is awarded.  Students should refer to the respective section of the catalog for the specific courses for each minor.  A minimum of 9 of the 15 hours must be earned in residence at Friends University.

Grades of D:

Unremoved “D” grades cannot be counted toward meeting the minimum requirements in a student’s major. This includes all specifically named courses and elective hours required by the major program but does not include requirements from other academic areas.

Grades of “D” are permissible in the areas of the major program if the hours of “D” are in excess of the minimum major named and elective requirements. These can be used as general electives and will count toward graduation to the extent they do not exceed the maximum hours permitted in the major.

Double Majors:

Many students complete two majors in the course of their studies. Double majors must fulfill all requirements for both majors. However if the majors cross degree requirement lines, then general education requirements for only one degree shall be required. Second majors cannot be listed on the academic record after the first degree is awarded.

Multiple Degrees: (Awarded at Same Time)

A second baccalaureate degree will require 30 semester hours of credit in addition to the hours required for the initial baccalaureate degree. Requirements for all general education and major courses must be fulfilled for both degrees. Both degrees could be awarded at the same Commencement.

Second Degrees:

Students entering Friends University with a recognized baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution will not be required to fulfill general education requirements but must meet requirements for the major and any supporting courses required as well as the minimum number of hours for any degree from Friends University (30 hours).

Transfer Student Credit Policies

Students from other accredited institutions may be admitted to advanced standing upon the presentation of official transcripts. A transcript is considered official when mailed direct to Friends from the previous institution. An official transcript from each college previously attended is required in order to be considered for admissions. Friends University normally accepts course credit from all regionally accredited colleges and universities. (Exception: In keeping with our Quaker heritage, Friends University does not accept ROTC military credits.)  Care should be taken not to duplicate work completed at the previous institution. (See guidelines for experiential learning credits.)

Courses within the major will not be waived and must be taken at Friends University.  Should an incoming transfer student have a previously completed course with the same or similar course title, the course may be accepted as an elective, and the student will be required to complete the major course in residence.

Students may not transfer in duplicate coursework taken after the start of his/her major coursework.

Credit is transferred with the grade earned in the course at the institution where the course was taken. All grades are calculated for a transfer GPA, including courses that might have been deleted from consideration by an “academic fresh start” at the transferring institution. Students should be aware that credits may be transcripted but not counted toward major or graduation requirements. “D” grades in major courses and certain other courses are not accepted toward graduation.

The Degree Completion programs require 46 credit hours from a four-year college (including the 30-hour residency requirement). All bachelor’s degree seeking students may use experiential learning credits (portfolio) to count as four-year college credits but not as residency credits.

The Friends University guidelines for translating proprietary school credit to Friends University credits are:

  1. The student must take proficiency examinations over the proprietary school courses for which they are seeking Friends University credit. The examinations can be given the first semester the student enrolls at Friends. (Refer to the credit by examination section for procedure and cost.) The Friends University faculty will make the final decision on grades and total hours.
  2. The student must successfully complete 15 hours of credit at Friends University before these translated credits will be added to the student’s official transcript.

Students submitting transcripts from previously non-regionally accredited institutions will have coursework transcripted in accordance with current transfer coursework policies in place at the University at the time of the student’s entry.  All courses and credit hours will be evaluated for appropriate course equivalency or elective credit at Friends University.

For courses with transcripted clock hours only, Friends will request the granting institution to calculate a conversion.  If no conversion is submitted, Friends will employ the following conversion calculation:  40 clock hours equal to 1 credit hour.  If a grade scale is not provided, letter grades will not be transcripted; the University will transcript a grade of CR for credit.

Clinical clock hours will be transcripted following the same conversion calculation of 40 clock hours to 1 credit hour.  Current policy and limits on clinical training, practicum, internship and cooperative education credit hour transfers will remain in effect.

Two-Year Transfer College Credits

The College of Adult and Professional Studies accepts four-year credits and transfer credit hours from two-year and four-year regionally accredited institutions.

CAPS students may transfer up to 78 credit hours from two-year regionally accredited institutions.


The University reserves the right to modify or change policies, programs, curriculum and schedules contained in this catalog at its sole discretion at any time without further notice. Further, the University reserves the right to correct data entry issues or correct erroneous information contained in this catalog at its sole discretion at any time without further notice.The contents of this catalog do not constitute a contract between students or prospective students and the University.

Friends University does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding this policy: EEOC/Title IX Coordinator, Friends University, 2100 W. University Ave., Wichita, KS 67213, 316-295-5000.