Sep 17, 2021
The program is designed to meet the elementary education regulatory expectations within Kansas as well as be responsive to adult learners. Consequently, the program is offered at the bachelor’s level to facilitate adult students who have approximately 30 hours to complete a bachelor’s degree or already hold a bachelor’s degree.
In addition to the requirements stated under the College of Graduate and Professional Studies Admissions Policy, the requirements for admission to Bachelors in Elementary Education are as follows:
- Baccalaureate or sufficient (90) transfer hours from two and four-year regionally accredited institutions with either a 3.0 GPA minimum or an acceptable score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators exam.
- Minimum prerequisite coursework as follows:
- Completed or nearly completed (lacking no more than two courses) general education program.
- One or more completed courses in any of the following areas: human development and/or psychology.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check as required for licensure by the Kansas State Department of Education.*
- Brief autobiography and statement of goals.
- Two professional references on forms provided by the Admissions Office.
- Admissions interview upon review of completed application.
* There is a fee associated with this requirement.
Bachelor of Science
College of Graduate and Professional Studies
General Education Requirements
The General Education requirement of CAPS 200 is waived for all students admitted to the Elementary Education B.S. Degree.
Major Requirements: 26 credit hours
Additional Requirements: 6 credit hours
Six credit hours of Education Workshops offered through Friends University in the following areas:
- EDUC 5591: Learning How to Learn (1 credit hour)
- EDUC 5655: Critical Content and Processes in Elementary Mathematics (2 credit hours total)
- EDUC 5484: Utilizing a Social Justice Lens (1 credit hour)
- SPED 5005: Special Education Services in the Elementary Classroom (1 credit hour)
- EDUC 5443: Educator Effectiveness Using Technology Support (1 credit hour)
Total Major Requirements: 32 credit hours
Total Degree Requirements: 124 credit hours